Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Virtual Book Tour Starts


#VirBookTour

I love Hong Kong because it's my birthplace and I lived there until I was 14 years old. I went to Maryknoll Sisters School (MSS), but my family is not a Catholic. MSS counts 6 winners of the Hong Kong Outstanding Students Awards, ranking 12th. At that time, my mother knew Mrs. Lam, the school principal and was partly responsible for getting her friends' children into this prestigious school. My parents instilled the importance of a good education in us when we were young. I still remember how much I hated Chinese History and struggled to remember all the facts for tests. I think I am dyslexic in Chinese as I always write the wrong character or can't remember the right one (it has ten thousand+ characters). I like English because it's much easier (just 26 alphabets). So, I stopped studying Chinese after Form 1 (7th grade) and took French. Hong Kong was a British Colony, so we had bilingual education and that helped us get into a regular class instead of an English as Second Language (ESL) class when we moved to the U.S in 1984. 

The food: Cantonese style fresh steamed fish and seafood. Also love desserts like mango pudding and fresh-baked egg tarts!

The people: "Hong Kong people are very efficient - time is money, a minute lost is a step away from fortune". There is a well-known Cantonese quote that fits most of us: An inch of time is an inch of gold. But an inch of gold can't buy an inch of time. Do you agree?

The place: Being a major trading port, and dubbed as one of Asia's leading Tigers, Hong Kong has attracted a myriad of immigrants who seek opportunities for a better life. Everyday, newcomers arrive from China and overseas hoping to make quick money and spend it. 

The shoppingLi Yuen Street East and West are two alleys, running parallel to each other between the Des Voeux Road and Queen's Road. You can find many bargains there. 


The vibe: Hip urban culture, the blend of East and West influences plus local films.
Just found out that Maryknoll celebrates its Centennial in 2012 and there's a Maryknoll Alumnae Association of CA!
Join me at LaunchRock
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment