Monday, May 22, 2017

Food for Thought


Eating well is not enough, you need to eat right for your body and take care of yourself. 1 in 3 Americans suffer from hypothyroidism, 85% of women suffer from hormonal imbalance at least once in their lifetimes, 75% of women have PMS, 40% of adults have insomnia, 74% are sleep deprived. The World Health Organization predicts that depression will be the # 2 cause of disability and premature death by 2020. Studies show that 80-90% of diseases are stress-related. Our society places a premium on multi-tasking, productivity and speed. We are overworked and underpaid. As women and care-takers, we have 2 jobs and one of them is unpaid (taking care of our family or loved ones). It's time to pause, slow down and put ourselves first. We can't care for others when we are sick or stressed. Make a list of things you love to do: put them in 2 categories.  Healthy vs Unhealthy, my co-worker who practices yoga 2-3 times a week likes to drink wine to relax. When she gave up her class of wine and drank herbal tea instead, she lost 20 pounds in just 3 months! Just one simple change can make a difference. What will you change to be healthier?

I am reading Born to Blog by Mark W. Schaefer and Stanford A. Smith. It made me realize that I was born to blog, I am a dreamer, a storyteller and I used to teach 2n-3rd grades. In Chapter 18 of the book - "Getting Personal", it talked about showing your personal side and taking a risk. I became a teacher because I love kids and wanted to make a real difference. I had a Business degree and a good job, but I wasn't satisfied. I started volunteering for a great non-profit Free Arts for Abused Children. I went to their events almost every weekend and enjoyed doing arts or crafts with the kids who just blossomed when they got the attention and a creative way to express themselves. I'd ask them what they like about themselves. Often, they'd look at me like I was speaking a foreign language. I'd share one thing that I appreciate myself for and wait. Most of the time, I'd give them a nudge. They'd say "I like my eyes or something physical." I then prompt them to find an inner quality that they admired. It'd take a while, but when they came up with it, their eyes and faces lit up. I felt such joy in sharing this simple step of self-love with them. I got burnt out as a teacher and quit. I felt like a failure. I stopped volunteering and working with kids regularly. I'm ashamed that I've forgotten how much I love kids.

Recently, I joined Girl Friends Circles because I wanted to be a better friend. I realized that like Mark who shared in Born to Blog, I've lost sight of what it means to be a friend. "It's a word that has been
cheapened by social-media. I was not getting to know the people behind their avatars" or social profiles. "I want to have real conversations and make real friends. I want to talk on the phone and even meet the people" in my social circles. I am also promoting Global Wellness Day.

Join my Being Well Group and come to a Healthy Cooking event - learn to take control of your health. Cost of eating healthy $ vs cost of dieting or diseases $$$. Choose one. Join now! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1922289331381752/

No comments:

Post a Comment