Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Author 101

Instagram
#AuthorsofInstagram

I am so grateful to my team. You know who you are. I am hosting a Full Moon Yoga and Healthy Food Workshop on Friday 10/6 at 7 pm. RSVP and save $5. Early-bird discount ends on 9/30.

I interviewed Karin Kiser the author of Lighten Your Load for Chapter 9: Create Space (in my book) because three of her simple tips fit in so well with how yoga empowers you to:

1. Breathe deeply - take conscious slow deep breaths
2. Move your body - the different poses of yoga have many benefits
3. Sweat - it's a great way to detox and yes you do work up a sweat in yoga

Karin advised us to take 2-3 slow deep breaths when we are stressed or anxious. Her favorite way to move is salsa dancing because it's fun, quick and easy. For those who don't like to sweat, Karin said that finding something you like to do that moves your body is the key. "Break it into chunks of 5 to 10 minutes of exercise. The main problem that many people have is that they don't drink enough water or don't move around enough. Skin brushing or sauna is a good way to sweat and relax" Karin wrote a book with 35 simple tips because most people don't have time to read or have short attention span. She doesn't want to overwhelm readers with too much information. "If people think it's too complicated, they don't even try. So, I made it simple and easy for people to de-stress," Karin said.

I agree with her a 100%. There are a lot of misconceptions about yoga. Many people think that it's too easy or too hard. Some think that you have to be flexible or like chanting to do yoga. That's why I am writing The Anti-Aging Secrets of Yoga to transform the way most people see yoga as just an exercise. It's so much more: a mind-body practice that connects us to our inner truth and allows us to drop in, reflect and ask deep questions about what is really important to us.  Yoga changed my life. I was a junk food/sugar addict. Now, I am passionate about health and wellness. I was a mess. Now, my mission is to empower women to be healthy inside-out. My vision is to use my book and coaching program to create a kinder, more loving world.

Karin has agreed to share her free gifts with you, my readers. Click here for free gifts!

I also interviewed Hillary Bitar, fashion blogger and lifestyle model. I love her signature silver mane and her fierce positive attitude! I am including her advice in Chapter 2: Balance @silverstorm777
"The myth that you have to be flexible to do yoga is false. The truth is that anyone can do yoga," she said. "There's something for everyone from Ashtanga (8-limbed) yoga to power yoga which is challenging. (For seniors and the disabled), there is chair yoga. So it's available to everyone."

Hillary's first experience with yoga was 10 years ago in Uruguay, a Latin American safe haven. She practiced Ashtanga yoga for its physical aspect (and benefits). When Hillary moved back to the States, she took Iyengar Yoga. She is a half yogi and half fitness enthusiast. "Yoga gives you a change to go inward, to focus on the mind-body connection. It helps you get in touch with what's working and what's not (in your own body)." Hillary has always been active, but got really dedicated to her health after her son was born. She takes group fitness classes or works out by herself. "The older you get, the more you realize how important it is to be active. It's about prevention. Balance fitness with healthy eating. Find anything you like that's active. Go on a walk, ride a bike, find an exercise buddy." Hillary likes group classes because she feeds off the energy of like-minded people and they keep her motivated. I love her advice and wisdom.

I will interview Janet Earling-Bencivenni this Friday 9/30. I love her post about practicing yoga as a form of self-care! @grandma2glamma

Ingrid Cheng
Author, blogger, health coach

P.S. Check out 5 Benefits of Healthy Habits

No comments:

Post a Comment