August is Kids Eat Right Month
"Shop Smart, Cook Healthy, Eat Right"
As we approach the beginning of the school year, it is an excellent time to reinforce the importance of nutrition and physical activity for children of all ages. This campaign seeks to educate families, communities and policymakers about the importance of nutrition in promoting health.
Neighborhood and faith-based organizations are well-positioned to initiate and coordinate activities that encourage healthy living and well-being. Trusted leaders in communities and congregations can empower families and communities to make better choices to improve the health of our children. If you want to make a difference in your community, encourage your community leaders and groups to take action:
- Invite a registered dietitian nutritionist to host nutrition education classes for your group or faith community.
- Share Kids Eat Right Month™ handout with your organization and the community.
- Announce Kids Eat Right Month™ in your newsletter or website.
- Help ensure that kids in your community have access to nutritious meals when school is out by hosting a Summer Food Service Program, providing free meals to help low-income kids get the food they need to grow into healthy adults.
- Host a weekly exercise activity for your community or congregation.
- Follow Kids Eat Right on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Google+.