Sunday, December 27, 2020

Holistic Remedies: CBD and TCM

@fitnesswla

I was a third-grade teacher in L.A.U.S.D but got burnt out. I became a yoga teacher in 2007 because I wanted to make a difference. I started a Yoga Meetup and hosted donation-based outdoor yoga classes. What began as a group that practiced yoga regularly evolved into something more. I founded the Holistic Health Club in 2013 to help health and wellness professionals connect with each other and collaborate to create win-win. We had monthly Meetups and each member had a chance to present his or her products/ services. Unfortunately, due to high cost of hosting and planning events, I had to close the group.  

I started interviewing health experts for my 12 Days of Wellness and continue to educated myself so I can serve more women. I interviewed Belen Saavedra (CBD Girl) today to learn more about CBD. Here's what she shared with me:

1. Do your own research. Make sure the CBD is harvested and extracted the right way. The company's website should show that its products are third-party tested, organic, non-GMO and extracted with CO2 not solvents.

2. There are 3 types of CBD products: 

Full spectrum: contains < 3% THC, CBN, CBC, CBG,  terpenes and flavonoids

Broad sepctrum: contains all the beneficial compounds without THC (what makes you high)

Isolate: just pure CBD, no other compounds

Smaller, craft companies often have better quality

There's a mental and physical health crisis here in America and our system just deals with the symptoms not the root causes. Our society focuses on quick fixes - a pill for every ailment, a vaccine for every virus. In the race to get a new drug or vaccine into market, Big Pharma often doesn't have transparency. The FDA is bought by special interests. We both agree that taking a pill that has many side effects to cover a symptom isn't curing anything or solving the main problem. We need to look into why we are feeling sick and what's causing us to feel this way. 

I grew up in Hong Kong where my Chinese doctor treated me as a whole person and spent time to find out the root cause of my symptoms. Often, it's an imbalance of chi. Traditional Chinese Medicine focuses on Chi (the energy in our bodies). There is either too much or not enough yin or yang in the body and the cure involves acupuncture, cupping, herbal medicine, time and patience. Our health care system is actually sick care because it mostly focuses on treating symptoms not prevention or addressing the root causes of illnesses.

Join the Breathwork Summit!

Ingrid Cheng author of The Anti-aging Secrets of Yoga (2021)

@fitnesswla

www.facebook.com/fitnesswla

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment