Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Holiday Survival Guide

 

Sign up for more free tips!

Due to COVID, 58 million people have filed for unemployment and 30-40 million people are expected to lose their homes by the end of the year. Depression, anxiety, and suicide at record levels, as are online alcohol and gun sales. Domestic abuse cases up over 20% vs. 2019. Kids are stuck at home when school’s where many of them are safest. On top of that, we have to deal with racial tensions and civil unrest. The upcoming election has also polarized our country even more. The holidays can also be stressful. That is why I decided to ask Nicole Benson, a Happiness Coach to do a guest post.

Here are 3 simple tools for a happier holiday season:

Although social distancing might make holiday gatherings look a little different this year, many people

have shared the stress, overwhelm and family politics (let alone actual political discussions) are still

sure to be around.

Here are a few tools to help navigate this tricky time of year if you’re in a physical, emotional or mental place you don’t want to be.*

1. Visit your happy place in your mind.

Think of a place (imaginary or real) where you feel safe, comfortable and at peace. You might be alone, or with people you love. It might be a quiet meadow with a babbling brook, or on Main Street in Disneyland with a cheerful parade going by. Maybe you’re surrounded by adorable puppies, or swinging on a hammock at a beach with clear, turquoise water and white sand. Really imagine you are there. Name one thing you can see, smell, taste, hear and touch/feel. 

2. Offer yourself compassion.

Cup your hands and place them on your heart, with pressure. Acknowledge the moment hurts/is causing pain or suffering; say it out loud if appropriate. “This really hurts.” Then give yourself something you need. Maybe it’s a walk alone, or cup of tea, or warm bath or a boundary for someone who is asking for more than you want to give. 

3. Practice the “just like me” exercise.

If you’re having a tough conversation with someone that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere, it can help to remember this person is “just like you” in many ways. Let’s say my family member voted for a person I don’t support, and we get into a heated discussion. I might want to pause, step away and think of a few phrases in my head like, “This person has been disappointed in life, just like me. This person wants to be happy, just like me. This person is doing what they believe to be right, just like me. This person wants to be loved, just like me.”

A mindful breathing exercise paired with any of the above helps too. Breathe in to a count of four, hold for a count of four, slowly breathe out to a count of eight, stay empty of breath for a count of four, and repeat. 

*Note: this isn’t about pushing away or ignoring “bad” feelings. This is about giving yourself what you need in the moment when you aren’t in a place where you can process in a healthy way.

I hope these tips help support you this holiday season. If you’d like more tools to be happier, more confident and calm, check out my 6-week course, Next Level You. We start soon, November 10th.

Nicole

Happiness Coach

P.S. Get a list of some of my favorite wellbeing and happiness resources here.

Sign up to get free tips!

I am excited about my new book. I used to be overweight and called fat. "Fat Girl" was my nickname in grade school. I was told to lose weight and became anorexic as a teenager. I struggled with poor body image and self-esteem. Yoga changed my life. I was a "bad" yoga student. I wasn't "thin, flexible, coordinated or focused". Somehow I stuck with my practice and became a yoga teacher. I used to be a sugar and junk food addict. Yoga helped me be a healthy foodie. I truly believe that yoga can help you be healthy inside out. It helped me. I can't believe that Halloween is just around the corner and Thanksgiving is less than a month away. This year has been crazy and stressful for almost everyone. Remember to practice:

1. Self care - I often end my yoga class with a self-massage. Get the free Foot Reflexology e-Book

2. Gratitude - Pause before you eat to be thankful for the nourishing food or drink some tea. I love Herbal Goodness. They have the best organic, non-GMO Papaya Leaf tea. This caffeine-free tea helps support blood platelet function, and is loaded with antioxidants to boost immunity, aid digestion, and support energy and vitality. Get Papaya Leaf tea

3. Mindful meditation - Studies show that meditation can reduce anxiety and stress. Get the free mindfulness and sleep meditation guide 

Get 30% off Calm by Wellness products with code: UN2020

Instagram

1 comment:

  1. Often, we exist in survival mode. Take time to tune in and connect with the divine within to thrive.

    ReplyDelete