Friday, June 23, 2017

Top Five Addictive Foods




How to Eat Healthy Without Breaking the Bank or Feeling Deprived


Did you know that most processed foods are highly addictive? “Blame sugar, salt, and fat. Processed food often contain all three - minus the protein, fiber, and water that help your body handle them.”


The 5 most addictive foods are:

1.       Ice cream

2.       Candy

3.       French fries

4.       Chocolate

5.       Cookies


Did you know that women are more likely than men to have “addictive/ unhealthy relationship with food”? According to Ashley Gearhardt, PhD, the co-creator of Yale University's Food Addiction Scale (YFAS)* "women tend to restrict and then binge." 


I am passionate about health and wellness. My mission is to empower women to be healthy in all areas of their lives and food is just the first step. I used to be overweight as a child and was bullied because of my large size. My mom and family called me “Fat Girl” and told me I needed to go on a diet. That meant no more ice cream. I felt deprived and started craving more ice cream. Since my mom still bought ice cream, I snuck around and ate as much as I could whenever I craved some. Then, I’d feel guilty and make myself throw up in the toilet. So I understand how women can develop an addictive/ unhealthy relationship with food. At one point, I was forty pounds overweight. My stomach had several folds and I was ashamed of my body.  I hated my body and my lack of will power. Little did I know that I was a sugar “addict/ junkie”. As a teenager, I felt like a misfit. So, I went on a diet and exercise regime to lose weight. To my surprise, I lost forty pounds in less than a year and felt great. Little did I know that I had anorexia. 


 I am so grateful for yoga because it helped me become aware of how I was abusing my body with dieting and unhealthy food. It taught me to be a “mindful  eater”.  I still crave sweet food, but before I indulge, I ask myself if that will really satisfy me or if I’d feel better with a healthier choice. Awareness is the first step to change.  Combined with action, belief and commitment,  I now have a healthy relationship with food.  If I can change, so can you.

 Many people think that eating healthy is expensive and that vegetables are not appetizing. I want to show them how to make healthy, tasty food on a budget. My secret is also my pain. I never want to be known as the “Fat Girl” again. I still crave sweets but I don’t overeat.  I share my healthy creations on Instagram and keep myself accountable.  I shop at Farmers Market, local, specialty grocers and cook my own meals. Many people don’t have time to cook, but they never think about the cost of eating out or getting food delivered.  I make 30-minute easy, healthy, tasty meals and each serving costs about $5-6.
Subscribe to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment